Produced from a combination of our laminated panels, custom extruded bullnoses and retainers. Protean’s unique Laminated Sunscreen Systems are available in a wide variety of modules, thicknesses, metal substrates and finishes. Extremely flat, smooth or embossed skinned laminated panel offers free span capabilities of up to 20′-0″ depending on panel thickness and internal supports. All of our Sunscreen Systems are engineered to insure they will withstand the specified design loads.
Protean sunscreen blades are typically produced from 22 gauge, pre-painted steel skins laminated to a phenolic resin impregnated kraftpaper core in our unique dead flat platen vacuum press. Options include aluminum cores as well as a variety of skins. All are extremely light weight, with the total system only weighing approximately 3-4 pounds per square foot all depending on the materials and thickness of material desired.
Protean sunscreen assemblies are typically attached with outriggers attached to a building’s internal or exterior structural framing in a wide variety of methods. Laminated Sunscreen Systems can be designed to set inside extruded retainers attached to the structure spanning between columns or wing walls, as well as incorporated into a curtainwall with the sunscreen mounted into fins cantilevered from the mullions.
Face Materials SS-300 Laminated Sunscreen Systems
- Aluminum .040 thick
- Galvanized Steel 22 Ga
- Stainless Steel 20 Ga.
- Optional material available please contact Protean
- 2″, 2 ½”, 3″, 5″ or 8″ Aluminum Honeycomb Core
- 2″, 2 ½”, 3″, 5″ or 8″ Kraftpaper Honeycomb Core
- Custom core dimensions ranging from ½” to 8″, please contact Protean.
- 2″, 2 ½”, 3″, 5″ or 8″
- square edges
- rounded corners
- custom profiles please contact Protean
- .25” Thick Aluminum
- .375” Thick Aluminum
- Outriggers are cut on CNC Routers to required design and function.
Coatings and Colors
- Kynar 500 finishes, standard colors, custom colors, metallic and mica coatings.
- Anodized finishes, standard and custom (Anodizing appear different between sheet and extruded aluminum due to variances in alloys)
- Stainless Steel Standard Polished or Brushed Finishes.
- Non-Directional Embossed
Sunscreen Size Limitations
- Maximum panel length approx. 20′-0″ (varies with panel thickness & gauge of material)
- Maximum panel width approx. 56″ based on 2” blade thickness (varies with panel thickness & gauge of material)
Panel Weights (Approximate)
- .040 Alum/Kraftpaper Honeycomb/.040 Alum 2” Panel 2.370#/SF
- .040 Alum/Alum Honeycomb/.040 Alum 2” Panel 2.050 #/SF
- 22 ga. Galv./ Kraftpaper Honeycomb /22 ga. Galv. 2” Panel 3718#/SF